The Test of Chinese as a Foreign Language (TOCFL)
The Test of Chinese as a Foreign Language (TOCFL) is a set of standardized language proficiency tests developed for non-native speakers of Chinese. CEFR organizes language proficiency in three bands and six levels. In order to meet the actual Chinese teaching situations overseas, however, the Steering Committee for the Test Of Proficiency-Huayu (SC-TOP) developed a preliminary band: the Band Novice, which means the overall organization of four bands and eight levels. Four bands include: Band Novice, Band A, Band B, and Band C. Each band is further divided into two levels making a total of eight levels: Novice 1, Novice 2, and Level 1 to Level 6.
Anyone who wants to know their Chinese proficiency level, and anyone who wants to study, work, or do business in Chinese-speaking countries or contexts is welcome to register for the test. The table below sets out the indicative number of course hours spent learning Chinese, and the size of the vocabulary base of words (ci) learnt appropriate for each test level.
|Indicative Course Hours
|Suitable Vocabulary Base
|In Chinese-speaking areas
|In non-Chinese-speaking areas
|More than 1920 hours
|More than 3840 hours
TOCFL test-takers will receive a certificate for each test that they register for and pass.
The TOCFL certificate can serve as evidence of Chinese proficiency for:
- Applying for a Taiwan Scholarship.
- International students applying for academic programs at colleges and universities in Taiwan.
- Overseas Chinese Students applying for university admission in Taiwan through the University Entrance Committee for Overseas Chinese Students (UECOCS).
- Employment applications which require proof of Chinese language proficiency.
- Obtaining bonus points under the new appraisal system for Overseas Chinese and international students who want to remain in Taiwan to work.
Many undergraduate and graduate programs in Taiwan require a TOCFL certificate for admission or for evaluation of an applicant’s Chinese proficiency, and many international businesses that do business with Taiwan will take candidates’ having TOCFL certificates into account when they are recruiting.
For more information, please check the website of SC-TOP: https://tocfl.edu.tw/
Register for TOCFL test in Taiwan: https://reg.sc-top.org.tw/
Register for TOCFL test overseas: https://tocfl.sc-top.org.tw/zoom/